Monday, February 28, 2011

Chapter Three


:: Three ::

S
he finally had relaxed enough to drift off to sleep. When Jeanine awoke, she rubbed her weary eyes and began to focus on the beauty that surrounded her. She loved the tall, colorful trees that lined both sides of the Palisades Parkway. The leaves were various shades of orange, red, yellow, and green; an autumn masterpiece. She looked over at Derek, who had been driving non-stop for more than two hours. The stereo had been turned off. The air conditioner was now turned on as the weather was warm, near eighty degrees. October in New York tended to be warm and lovely Indian summer, weather which she had always enjoyed.
        “Hey, how you holding up, Derek? You want to stop somewhere for some food? I could use a—” Jeanine started. “Oh, never mind!”
        Derek glanced at Jeanine, smiled slightly, and said, “Of course, yes. Let’s stop to eat. I figured you might want to freshen up before you headed into New Jersey. I live in Secaucus, too, coincidently. We could get some coffee or maybe a Pepsi. There’s a gas station not too far ahead, before our exit.”
         “NO! I can’t! I said, just forget it!” she snapped. Then Jeanine caught herself. She was becoming easily bothered over the smallest things. She had no money, no credit cards, and no reason to let Derek know her situation, yet. “I apologize, Derek. Please, forgive me. It’s been a long day for me and I’m just so damned exhausted. I just want to have a hot relaxing shower and sleep in a comfortable bed for a change…”
         It seems that the more Jeanine spoke, the more she convinced Derek that she’s not wrapped too tight, that she is a few cards short of a  complete deck, that she might be a bit quirky, and eccentric. He began to worry, but dared not confront her at this point.  Oh, Lawd, what the heck have I gotten myself into, he thought. “Don’t you worry your pretty head, Jeanine. It’s not a problem. I need to go to the rest room to shake the… to relieve myself and I am a little hungry. There are two stations ahead that we could grab a quick snack or sandwich or,” Derek hesitated and then continued, “we could head into Secaucus… and we could eat a hot meal at my home.” 
         Right after he made the impulsive invitation, Derek regretted his words.

No comments:

Post a Comment